Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Apparently you can't shoot guns in Kansas

Today, I and my roomates were bored with sitting around doing nothing. We decided to go out, do some shooting, hang out in the wilderness, maybe have a campfire. It sounded simple, but in fact, was a real downer.

You see, in Kansas, there is very little open range BLM land. You leave town, and there is a house every mile or two, and the land inbetween those homes is private property. Right now, the wheat and hay fields are about waist-high, which would be unpleasant at best to go shooting in. Also, the land is flat, meaning there is nothing to stop a stray bullet from hitting some random cow and/or horse. We thought about trying to find a wooded area, but really, that wouldn't work because I don't know if some dude is practicing his ninja skills all innocently there in the trees when I'm blasting away. Guns are pretty damn dangerous if you aren't aware of your surroundings.

So anyway, we drove around for an hour and a half and didn't find a suitable place to shoot. We might try to go out again tomorrow.

Wow... well, I've been staring at the screen here for 10 minutes, drawing a complete blank on what to say. I started this blog to force myself to write more, but I've been slacking a bit, no longer updating daily (even though I have more than enough time). Perhaps tomorrow I'll post an excerpt from my book, except I might throw in some of those "revisions" and "corrections" that people are always yammering on about.

1 comment:

Floridaorangejuice said...

I grew up in Nevada..one giant open rifle/pistol range...Kansas is a huge disappointment...at least Missouri has a bunch of un-staffed ranges to go to...but even that sucks..the fact that I have to drive at least an Hour to a range sucks...was I just spoiled?