Monday, May 26, 2008

Plans for the future

I've always wanted to travel, but when you grow up in poverty, having trouble making ends meet, it's hard to scrounge up the money to get out and see the world. I've always made a point to exploring everything I could within walking distance. For instance, there is an awesome bluff, pond, and field just behind my parent's house here in Lyman. I spent so much time back there, exercising, practicing martial arts, swordfighting little kids, and getting attacked by horses... good memories.

But past that bluff, which is about a half-mile away, it gets too far to walk and really enjoy the sights. Don't get me wrong, I can walk forever if need be (I planned to walk across the state of Wyoming last summer and was training for it) but eventually your feet start to hurt and your mind starts to wander. Anyway, I'm trailing away from the point--

When my uncle picked me up from the airport the other day, we discussed places to live. He dislikes the dry climate in Utah, and loves the Washington state area. I really enjoy the humid warm area I live in in Kansas right now, but I know I'll miss the mountains before long. I mentioned that I would like to one day backpack across Europe. The idea just sounds awesome to me. My uncle suggested Brazil because the dollar is stronger and I won't go broke just from trying to eat. I gave it some thought, and it sounds more and more appealing as time goes on.

So, my tentative plans right now are four things:

1) Learn some Portuguese and Spanish. If I put my mind to it and practice every day with Rosetta Stone and some books, I'll be good.
2) Learn more Self Defense. I will not be taken advantage of.
3) Save some money. I only have a few things that I have projected money for in the next 6 months: Metal Gear Solid 4, a trip to Pennsylvania to meet with friends, and another trip to Missouri, then perhaps money to fix my car (if it breaks down soon, which it might.)
4) Get a passport. Duh.

And that's it. Perhaps I'll have a friend to travel with, but I'm not particularly bothered by going alone. I just need to set my mind to it and GO.

No comments: