Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 1: Favorite Song

I'm doing this song a day bullshit thing that is trendy right now, but not really because I'm trying to be trendy (when have I ever been trendy?) but because I really have to rack my brain for some of these.

Excessive adverbs aside, I plan to keep this up to the best of my ability. Here is day 1, my favorite song.


AFI changed my life, and I'm not shy to explain it. In 2001, shortly after their album, "The Art of Drowning" was released, I was on a bus to a music festival in Wyoming. Freshman year of high school. Good times.

Anyway, the most attractive girl in the tri-state area asked me if I knew this group, and I may have wet myself a little. Wet myself with copious amounts of charisma, I imagine. She let me listen to her CD, and I realized that there were musicians in the world that never made the top 40 charts.

Ever since then, I've been interested in things left out of the public eye, and it's led me to some great media, great philosophies, and great friends. Things that I may never have found if not for the sound of a thrashing guitar and nonsense lyrics blowing my mind at such a critical age.

This isn't the greatest song of all time, and if I think too long about it, it isn't even my favorite, but it's always the first to hit my mind when asked, "what's your favorite song?"

No comments: