Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Magic


See that? That's called Modafinil, and it's magic. I was prescribed this yesterday morning for my sleeping troubles (er... lack-of-sleeping-troubles trouble?) by a PA who basically didn't know anything about sleep disorders (she wanted to give me Ritalin, so I threw a pamphlet at her with the word "Provigil" on it (brand name of Modafinil.).).

Anyway, you can read about Modafinil here. Pretty neat stuff, slightly reduces the body's need for sleep, helpful for shift-work sleep disorder, helpful for sleep apnea and narcolepsy, helpful for seasonal depression, and the list goes on. The best part is that it only kills 6 out of every 17 million users.

The worst part? No generic variety is available until 2012 and the brand-name is quite expensive... affordable, but expensive.

I like not falling asleep at work though. That's a big plus for me.

5 comments:

ChezNips said...

yipee ki-yi-ay! Thats awesome news. I hope you are not one of those 6 with the fatal skin thing. That would suck to pieces. :)

Anonymous said...

I seriously need this stuff...I think I'll talk to my doctor next appointment.

Big Boss said...

You sure get a lot more hours out of your day. ^_^

Though, the past few for me have been on the blah side so I haven't gotten much done. It takes getting used to the stuff cause I feel kinda tired, but not really sleepy. This makes me rather unmotivated.

Nice to hear from you, Amna.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that that crazy drug where you can go full bore for 48 hours straight then just sleep for 8 and be fine? I need to ask my nefarious underworld contacts if they can get their hands on some of that action.

Big Boss said...

Well, the standard "Your results will vary" applies, but yes, it's been reported to reduce the need for sleep altogether by altering a certain hormone coating on the nerves in your brain.

For me, no, it doesn't quite have that effect, though it might if I took 400 mg, double my prescribed dose, and 1/4 what I take regularly so that I CAN sleep later.