Sunday, December 21, 2008

Proclamation to the World #1

I, Chris Jensen, hereby declare Ubuntu Linux 8.04 to be inherently superior to Microsoft Windows in... every way but one. And the one failure of Ubuntu is not Ubuntu's fault. It is the fault of every single one of us for not using it.

I find I must go into more depth. You see, I built a computer for my brother for Christmas. It's a sweet rig and didn't cost me a fraction of what it would have to buy it prebuilt. Was a great project and I want to do it more often.

So now that we have two computers and a playstation in the house, I wanted to network them all together, or at the very least, connect them all to the internet simultaneously. I ended up buying a Linksys Router. Horribly expensive for the performance, but that can't be helped (well, it could have, but I was in a bit of a rush to get things set up.)

Our internet has been nothing but trouble since I hooked it up. We are dropping packets and losing data transfer all over the place. You can't even browse the internet because so many times a website will wait for a server to respond, but the information was simply lost because of something stupid. It was incredibly frustrating, seeing download speeds up to 1 Mbps from a direct connection, to 30 kbps with a routered connection.

I did a speed test with the router in Vista. 5000 kpbs download speed (eh, not bad) 61 kbps upload. For anyone reading who is not familiar with the terminology and relativity in data transfer speeds, let me just say that 61 kbps upload is about as pathetic as your old dial-up modem. I'm not paying for cable internet to get dial-up speeds. That's just ridiculous.

So, in my frustration, I decided to just reboot the computer and give it a rest. I missed my dual boot prompt, and it automatically booted Ubuntu. I figured, eh, what the heck, why not use it for awhile, see if I can get the internet to improve through that mess of foreign programming.

NOPE. NO PROGRAMMING.

Ubuntu autoMAGICALLY configured everything. My internet works perfectly, the chat room I moderate has a steadier connection, and the only hiccups are due to momentary blackouts in the router (which is pretty standard unless I were to install a homebrew firmware onto the router, which I'm not sure is necessary).

All of this is to simply say, everyone should use Linux. The only reason it isn't as popular as Windows or Mac is because it lacks a lot of support. You can't play high-end games with it and there are a few minor issues with things like Flash Player and Java. The more people that use Linux, the more developers will say, "Hey, there is a market available to us that would make us more money if we simply did a little work to port our software over to them!"

And best of all, most versions of Linux are free. Most software for Linux is free. Thinking about buying Microsoft Office? Don't bother. Open Office has nearly all of the same features (and some that Office doesn't have) and is completely free.

3 comments:

ChezNips said...

the labels for this particular blog entry make me giggle a lot. Awesome. blatant fanboyism are just stellar labels. And hurrah for linux ubuntu. The only problem I have had so far is that I download shit that doesn't work on my music player, most likely just needs to go to a new installed program or soemthing and a bunch of rar files I have no program to open them with YET. SO far its been fairly sweet. SO thanks for pushing me to try new things.

Tractor Operator said...

there is absolutely no incentive for development of software for a freeware/anti-establishment/revolutionary operating system. Nobody is going to notice(and act on the notion) that "hey, there is a market for free shit over here!" Regardless of the fact that it makes perfect sense. That was how the internet was intended to operate, but this is capitalism. . . Mac is as close as you're going to get in the "for sale" realm. I've been mac based for 4 years and I must say that it's been awesome. No problems aside from a hard drive failure.
.
nice work on building a computer! What mics are you guys using?

Big Boss said...

Well, I don't see why a company can't create, say, a sound recording engineering suite that includes a proffessionally done port for Linux. Then, people wouldn't have to try and hack and reverse engineer the code to make it work on Linux. The operating system may be free, but the software to add to it could potentially be of sale value (Though I do see your point.).

For now, we have one good Shure mic that Curtis picked up at a garage sale or something last summer. It sounds great now that he doesn't have to fit 4 different converters on the end to get it to plug into the computer. He's already recorded a parody of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" for a friend of his at work. The vocal sound is great. We have yet to test it on guitar/trumpet/flute, etc.

The other mics are terrible terrible walmart 1/8" input computer shits.